Sep 20, 2009

How Did I Get Started with Ruby on Rails?

Thank you for reading. This is my first post.

So, how did I get started (tangled) with Ruby on Rails? And what's the most confusing thing about it?

To begin with, I have been a developer since 1997 in Windows, SQL, PHP.

I've first started to know about Ruby and Rails in year 2007 after checking out some websites and framework for web applications.

But I don't really bother as my Little Voice telling me - "Oh no, another new language? Need to relearn? Nah, I'll skip it for now..."

However, we've been developing both Windows and web applications, and we've decided to move to focus more towards web applications and SaaS (Software as a Service).

And from doing more research, I find more and more people are talking about ROR, Ruby on Rails, etc. Seems that is quite popular and I also did compare Rails with PHP Cake, Symfony and the rest.

At last, one very simple reason I'm switching to ROR is because of less is more. Instead of bloating any applications, we are trying to slim it down to make it more manageable and not repeating ourselves (Don't Repeat Yourself - DRY concept).

Ruby language itself is pretty elegant and it reminds me of having fun by learning the programming language itself. Just like the good old days when I started to learn about BASIC when I was... ahem, better not go there :)

Anyway, I hope my posts to come, I will share about my confusion I had and the sequence of learning will be able to save time for you and have more fun in the process.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there, nice to know more rails dev from Malaysia. I'm currently looking for more dev to work with or just to share common interest. Do give me buzz at hello@ar.zu.my since I can't find your contact details anywhere

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete